May 28, 2005

star wars and a 4am wake up call

Last night Gene and I doubled with Jeff & Felicia for date night and we finally saw Star Wars: Episode 3, Return of the Sith. I was surprised at how much I liked it, and even though we all know how it turns out, (unless you've been on Mars, in a cave, with your fingers in your ears) I got so upset when Anakin turned to the dark side. I got choked up when OB1 said "You were the chosen one...you were my brother."

There are a lot of great one-liners (especially from Yoda) in this movie, but the one I liked was "Fear of losing what we love is the first step toward the dark side." Isn't that so true in "real" life? Fear is such a paralyzing feeling, and Satan is perfectly happy seeing us just stationary. Paralyzed. Too fearful to do anything, let alone any good. Dr. Laura says "All that evil needs to succeed is for good people to stand by and do nothing."

The end of the movie totally reminded me of the story in the Book of Mormon where Korihor goes about deceiving people and turning them from Christ and he asks Alma to show him a sign, to prove that there's a God, and Alma strikes Korihor dumb (as the sign). Then Korihor has to go from house to house begging for food and gets run over, and verse 60 (Alma chapter 30) is the clincher: "And thus we see the end of him who perverteth the ways of the Lord; and thus we see that the devil will NOT support his children at the last day, but doth SPEEDILY DRAG THEM DOWN to hell." The Chancellor did not support Anakin in the end, but wanted him miserable like himself.

Forgive me for drawing spiritual comparisons with Star Wars, I am so NOT a Star Wars junkie, and I know others out there see their own spiritual resemblance; I just had to pontificate.

This week Sarah "graduated" from Joy School. It was a cute ceremony with all the kids wearing little black graduation hats, and holding certificates. Actually, it was more like a comedy of errors trying to get all six kids sit still at the same time for a picture. Sarah will miss the time together with her friends, but we'll of course still have play dates. Truth be told, I'm glad to be done with Joy School. My turn was every six weeks and it seemed like every six weeks we caught somebody's cold.

I really don't like summer. I'm more of a Fall/Winter/Spring kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some aspects of summer: campouts, BBQ's and who doesn't like a good suntan (the healthy glow kind, not the faux leather look). It's just the heat and the bugs and the weeds (and the hey hey, it hurts me) make it my least favorite season.

It's just that at this time of year, every year, I wake up at 4:00 in the morning, wide-eyed, and I lay there pleading with my body to go back to sleep, like I did last night. I've heard that when that happens, you should just get up and do something. Honestly, how reasonable is it to do yard work at 4 am? Sometimes I fall asleep around 6, but then I'm overly-tired and groggy the rest of the day.

Today I hope to plant a garden....mmm....after my nap.

No comments: