June 15, 2005

soak up the sun

I don’t have digital
I don’t have diddly squat
It’s not having what you want
It’s wanting what you’ve got

Today's soundtrack is Soak up the Sun by Sheryl Crow.

Long ago my friend Jamie wrote about her life having soundtracks. She'd make the mix tapes with songs that told the stories; a certain summer, a certain romance, etc. I had never thought of it in that way before, but I sure liked it and I started to wonder what my life soundtrack would be. Lately my life seems like it's two steps forward and one step back; with losing weight, home remodeling and getting out of debt. What would that be? A tango? I'm grateful that it's not one step forward and two steps back! There's a lot I don't have, but I love what I do have.

I love my backyard. It's big enough for everything to have it's place, but not too big. I love the trees. Dozens of trees that provide ample shade for my girls while they're playing and to hypnotize me for hours. I love the ground under our apple and cherry trees; all bumpy and organic. I love the wildlife that my backyard attracks. We get robins, finches, hummingbirds & butterflies (of course) also doves, quail (a whole family), ducks and squirrels. Sometimes I look out my sliding-glass door and fully expect to see a deer prancing through the trees. But it's only Simba. Speaking of which, I'm happy to say that he finally got neutered last weekend.

I'm gonna soak up the sun
gonna tell everyone to lighten up
gonna tell 'em that I've got no one to blame
every time I feel lame I'm looking up
gonna soak up the sun

I love yard work and spring cleaning! Oh joy, rapture! They are satisfying on so many levels. Not only does every thing get clean, and organized, but, more than likely, repainted and decorated; so every thing is pretty AND I get to check it off my "to do" list. Few things are better than getting your fingers dirty planting a garden; smelling the dirt, feeling the sun on your back and listening to the sprinkler (or rain) water your work.

What's your soundtrack today?

I got my 45 on
so I can rock on

No comments: