July 19, 2005

my life: a Seinfeld episode

Last week Gene and I went to Golden Corral (an all-you-can-eat buffet) for dinner because they were advertising baby back ribs. Gene enjoyed the shrimp. It was the fast and furious pace at which he ate the shrimp that reminded me of a Seinfeld episode, titled "The Comeback".

So I said to him:
"Hey, Gene, the ocean called and they're running outta shrimp."
to which he said:
"Oh yea, well, the jerk store called and they're running outta you."
(We laughed)
Then I said:
"What's the difference? You're their all-time best seller!"
(More laughter)

A couple days later we were all over at my bro-in-law's house discussing Terry Schiavo and comas and pulling the plug. I said "Well, as far as I'm concerned, about my own life, Elaine from Seinfeld had the right idea. She said 'Yank it like you're starting a mower.' "

In that same episode of Seinfeld, Kramer was exploring the options of a Living Will after seeing a movie where a person fell into a coma. He picks Elaine to be the executor of his Will. Elaine's reaction is my favorite part.

KRAMER: "Yeah, because you're perfect. You're a calculating, cold-hearted businesswoman. And when there's dirty work to be done, you don't mind stomping on a few throats."

ELAINE: (smiling, flattered) "Oh, ho, c'mon."

The rest of the episode has George saying to Reilly (as a comeback to the best-seller line) "Well I slept with your wife." His boss leans over to George and says "His wife's in a coma."

It's a very funny episode. As is my life at times. Some day I'll have to tell you about the legendary Gene encounter at the Ceasars Palace buffet.

No comments: