September 29, 2008

20 years

This is my high school senior year photo (below). You're probably thinking the same thing that I've been thinking lately--"What the hell happened?" ;) We should all be so lucky to look as good as we did when we were 18 years young!

A couple weeks ago I attended my high school 20 year reunion. Many thoughts flooded my mind upon arriving. First, and for the most part, it was obvious that we're all in the same boat together--abundantly clear that we are now middle-aged folk, pushing 40! What the...? When did that happen? Upon a closer look it also became abundantly clear that certain people *peaked* in high school and have had a hard time facing their adult futures. Things that make you go hmmm. It also became clear, that for some, a life of hard drugs had taken it's toll! Sad. Of course I wasn't able to get very intimate or accurate life stories in the course of a 3 hour dinner/program, and I was left wondering what brought this person, or that person, to this point in their life.

At times it was a plain old freak show! Many classmates, who I thought would've turned out one way or another, infact turned out completely opposite from what I expected. Of course they could all say the same thing about me. I was very surprised, sometimes pleasantly, again and again. It was very fun to see so many old friends and remember how they impacted my life when we were young. I may not look like I did 20 years ago, and I have body parts heading South, but I am so glad to be where I am today and who I am today! The knowledge, relationships, experience and self-confidence that comes with age I wouldn't change for ANYTHING!!!


me at 18

The class of '88 at a hotel ballroom.

My old friend, Kim, and yours truly '08.
Old friend, Lisa, with red hair, old crush & our homecoming queen (standing w/ cup).
Old friend Carl (dated once), me & my friend from elemetary school, Michelle '08.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carlita,
You have such a healthy sense of self! You were gorgeous at 18 and now even more so, with the added knowledge and life experience.


Love ya' Flea

8:18 PM

Anonymous said...

BarB said...
You were a very pretty girl and you ARE ONE NOW.

9:35 PM