January 21, 2009

say it ain't so

You know, I've just about had enough with Hollywood. What the heck happened? It used to be a place for artists to fulfill their dreams and they took their fame with some responsibility. I know, this is nothing relatively new & I'm fairly sure we all agree that Hollywood has, in the last decade or two, become nigh unto an island for moral lepers. I understand, and even tolerate to a degree, actors who use their fame to push a certain cause especially some that are very worthy. I get that. Honestly if I had that kind of spotlight I'd be shouting out about something. And I can even handle the fact that my main men and favorite actors are democrats...barely. But when Tom Hanks calls me "un-American" because of my religion, that crosses the line!

Let's clarify some of the facts:
  1. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints did not give their "money to the church" to campaign for California's prop 8, and thus the church did not "make this happen".
  2. If members in California decided to donate their money for prop 8 it was their choice.
  3. If members of the Church, in CA, came out by the droves to VOTE for prop 8 it was their choice and frankly I can't think of anything more American!
  4. Other conservative groups & religions supported prop 8, including the Catholic, Jewish, African-American & Latino communities. I don't hear Tom Hanks calling any of them "un-American".
  5. Hanks says that he doesn't "like to see discrimination". Really? Hollywood is all about discrimination these days--that's what he's doing labeling Mormons un-American.
  6. He also says that we "need to have faith in the California constitutional process". Faith in CA? Really? What has it produced to encourage that "faith"? People who check into rehab on nearly a daily basis, who think they're above the law, San Fransisco trans-genders & Britney Spears? No thanks, I'll stick with the American Constitution and my prophet, thank you very much!
I'm so sick and tired of the liberal Hollywood type shoving their view points down our (conservative/moral-centered) throats. They're not happy unless we lie prostrate on the ground and accept their liberal views, agenda and way of life. I've liked you for a long time, Mr. Hanks, but I'm afraid that I have to end this love affair. I need to take a stand. And you need an education, remember: Stupid is as stupid does.
Update: Tom Hanks has come out and "apologized" for his remarks. However, I'm tired of actors who use their grand stage and loud voice to ridicule people who challenge their views and then quietly, via their press agent, apologize for their behavior. The latter is only done to save their career/fan base. If they were truly sincere they'd choose their words carefully in the first place.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

AMEN!!! I love it. I just thought- Great one more actor to add to my boycott list.