
My 2 year old daughter, Emma, is currently obsessed with watching the Wizard of Oz. It's the only time I've ever seen her sit still for that length of time. She doesn't even do it for a Disney movie. Not that I like to sit my kids in front of the TV or a movie that often, but you should see her face light up and hear her giggle when we say that she can watch it AGAIN! I figure she could be watching worse stuff; something really stupid, disrespectful or violent, so I give in. I'm amazed at how aware she is of the plot. Emma gets genuinely sad when the mean lady takes the dog away from Dorothy and when Dorothy gets hit on her head by the falling window. On the other hand she gets so happy and laughs when the munchkins come out and when they all sing and dance.
It was while watching the Wizard of Oz for my hundredth time that I remembered having heard a parable on it, years ago, from Jack R. Christiansen. And I've made some observations of my own. Kind of like Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz is full of spiritual symbolism. I believe this life is a time away from our Heavenly Father, a time to be tested and prepare to return to Him. Much like Dorothy leaves her home and has to prove herself to the Great Wizard. I also believe that we have help, probably more than we will ever know, from guardian angels and friends to guide us Home. Much like Glenda, the good witch from the North (Heaven?). I also believe that we are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for, but that our Father knows our strengths.
All that said, there are a few things I find ironic, yet poignant, in the movie the Wizard of Oz. Have you ever noticed that, even though the Scarecrow claims he doesn't have a brain, he's the one that always comes up with the plans or ideas. And that, even though the Tinman claims he doesn't have a heart, he's the emotional one; always crying and "rusting". The rest of the group is always saying to the Tinman "Don't cry now, we don't have your oil can." The Cowardly Lion claims to not have courage, yet he readily admits his weaknesses and faults (which I think takes real courage). Even though he runs away and appears to be afraid, later the Great Wizard points out he's just mistaking courage for wisdom. Sometimes we need to run instead of fight.
My favorite part of all, however, is when the foursome are trapped in the tower at the witches castle and Dorothy throws water, in an attempt to put out a fire on the Scarecrow, in the direction of the witch. And the Wicked Witch mutters these words: "I'm melting, I'm melting...Oh! What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a good little girl like you could have destroyed my beautiful wickedness."
Water is very symbolic for cleansing. But, I wonder, how many of us consider our own goodness? And that sometimes the only thing it takes for wickedness to prosper is for one "good" person to stand by and do..... nothing. Do we hesitate to be "good"? Are there times when we don't remember, or give credit to, our strengths and do nothing? Or are we aware? How many of us use the strengths of others for help...and bring a few friends along that are in need?? I know I'm guilty of misjudging my strengths at times, and also hesitant to use my "goodness" at times.
But, this I know, I'm very grateful for my family and friends (even the ones who lurk and refuse to leave a comment. heh.) and their strengths that help me be a better, good, person.
Some of my favorite lines in the movie:
It was while watching the Wizard of Oz for my hundredth time that I remembered having heard a parable on it, years ago, from Jack R. Christiansen. And I've made some observations of my own. Kind of like Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz is full of spiritual symbolism. I believe this life is a time away from our Heavenly Father, a time to be tested and prepare to return to Him. Much like Dorothy leaves her home and has to prove herself to the Great Wizard. I also believe that we have help, probably more than we will ever know, from guardian angels and friends to guide us Home. Much like Glenda, the good witch from the North (Heaven?). I also believe that we are much stronger than we give ourselves credit for, but that our Father knows our strengths.
All that said, there are a few things I find ironic, yet poignant, in the movie the Wizard of Oz. Have you ever noticed that, even though the Scarecrow claims he doesn't have a brain, he's the one that always comes up with the plans or ideas. And that, even though the Tinman claims he doesn't have a heart, he's the emotional one; always crying and "rusting". The rest of the group is always saying to the Tinman "Don't cry now, we don't have your oil can." The Cowardly Lion claims to not have courage, yet he readily admits his weaknesses and faults (which I think takes real courage). Even though he runs away and appears to be afraid, later the Great Wizard points out he's just mistaking courage for wisdom. Sometimes we need to run instead of fight.
My favorite part of all, however, is when the foursome are trapped in the tower at the witches castle and Dorothy throws water, in an attempt to put out a fire on the Scarecrow, in the direction of the witch. And the Wicked Witch mutters these words: "I'm melting, I'm melting...Oh! What a world, what a world! Who would have thought that a good little girl like you could have destroyed my beautiful wickedness."
Water is very symbolic for cleansing. But, I wonder, how many of us consider our own goodness? And that sometimes the only thing it takes for wickedness to prosper is for one "good" person to stand by and do..... nothing. Do we hesitate to be "good"? Are there times when we don't remember, or give credit to, our strengths and do nothing? Or are we aware? How many of us use the strengths of others for help...and bring a few friends along that are in need?? I know I'm guilty of misjudging my strengths at times, and also hesitant to use my "goodness" at times.
But, this I know, I'm very grateful for my family and friends (even the ones who lurk and refuse to leave a comment. heh.) and their strengths that help me be a better, good, person.
Some of my favorite lines in the movie:
- "I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."
- "He's saying 'oil can'". "Oil can what?" (hehehe)
- "...for twenty years I've been dying to tell you what I think of you, and now, well, being a Christian woman I can't!"
No comments:
Post a Comment