September 3, 2008

harvest

I can't believe it's harvest time already! Sure there are a few more weeks left, and some years we've been able to harvest well into October, but with the recent temperature drops (just north of here was 29 degrees last night) we're working early this year. I'm so glad that I planted a garden this year! Even though in the early spring it's such a pain to prepare the soil and weed the earth and tend to young sprouts we've managed to crank out a decent garden. In years past we tried our hands at growing peppers and beets but without success, but this year it seems like everything we planted just flourished, and I'm so thankful!

Our first fire of the season--proof that it was chilly the other night!

The fruits (or veggies) of our labor: zucchini (coming out our ears), tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, beets, spaghetti squash, carrots, cabbage & lettuce (already eaten).

Our first successful beets--that will now be enjoyed steamed and diced in salads, etc.

Cayenne, Serrano, Anaheim and Bell peppers. I'm making oodles of salsa fresca and drying the rest.


What garden is complete without tomatoes; fresh roma & early girl in this case. These will go to make the salsa, also stewed tomatoes and, of course, in salads & BLT's!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great harvest! Are you going to bottle any of it?

Our season in Arizona is a little different...

Jewel Allen said...

Wow, look at all those beautiful photos. I'm jealous. We got lots of corn but not much tomatoes.

Have fun making salsa!