November 1, 2008

week in review

Halloween this year was a lot of fun, as usual, but as a parent I am so glad that it's over. After a week of carving pumpkins, sewing costumes, conjuring up Halloween themed lessons, attending parties & trudging our way through corn mazes I am wiped out!

All month long my girls were saying that they wanted to be either a fairy or a werewolf (I know--funny extremes), but finally last week Sarah decided that she wanted to be a witch and Emma decided that she wanted to be a ghost. I'm slightly proud of them for wanting to be something "scary" this year as opposed to their usual fairy/princess/cute animal that they've been in years past. And I also liked that they chose costumes that epitomize the holiday. Every time you see a cartoon, editorial or movie there's always at least a witch or a ghost. For the ghost costume we tried the standard *throwing the sheet over the kid* approach. Meh. So I googled some ideas and adopted the *dress form with streamers hanging from the arms* and a hood with 3 holes cut out -look. Much better. Still hard to walk in. Oh well, at least the witch was easy. Morgan simply wore the same costume we've used for all our 2 year old's--a pink poodle (nice and warm so momma doesn't have to worry).

As tradition prevails we have our "trunk or treat" at our church followed by a small parade and refreshments, then raid the neighborhood for goodies and then head over to Gene's brother & SIL's house for more raiding, dinner & a movie. This year we also stopped by my brother & SIL's house so they could see the kids and get some lovin' and goodies. We didn't get home until 10:30 at night and still had to weigh the loot (Sarah got 5 lbs., Emma got 4 lbs. & Morgan got half a pound) and then sacrifice to the Book Witch. It was 11:20 before the kids were asleep. Like I said, I'm beat!


Trick-or-treating with the cousins & running from house to house.

Sarah very pleased with the goods this year.

Emma in half of her ghost costume & trying not to trip, Gene with Morgan & Sarah's friend "Noo noo" that we brought with us in the foreground.

Little miss poodle-baby & daddy (being blinded by the flash)

Jack-0-lantern & zucchini caterpillar. Now THAT'S one way I haven't used my zucchini!

Sarah & her friend, Christina, aka: "Noo noo", back at the cousins' house eating soup (always pumpkin chicken soup, baked potato soup & chili or minestrone soup potluck) and watching Monster House (which I find somewhat disturbing--but that's another post).
------------------
SLEEP OVER
Last weekend my adorable nieces, Chelsea & Lysette, came with us to go through the corn maze at Thanksgiving Point on Friday night. The corn maze is in the shape of American Idol runner up, David Archuleta. One of the fun things about that is they played all his songs over the loud speaker as you weaved your way through the maze. It was a blast! In addition to the maze, the Point had all kinds of things for kids to do: steer roping, tether ball, rubber-duck races, pig races, cow train rides, a princess village playground, haunted monster, puppet story time & hot cocoa to sip by a fire. Oh. my. heck. what. fun! Then Chels & Lysette slept over at our house and, after crepes for breakfast in the morning, took Sarah & Emma (and joined Alyssa) to see High School Musical 3. They had such a good time. I'm so so so grateful that my daughters have such awesome cousins that love them, include them and pamper them, but especially that are such good examples to my girls!

Chelsea & Lysette with Emma & Sarah before the movie.
(incidentally I'll have to get my pics from Lysette of the Point)
FALL PORTRAITS
We plan on enlarging these photos of the girls for our family wall. LOVE this one of Sarah & Emma! Morgan wouldn't cooperate.

Sarah looks great in orange. Here she's leaning off a lamp-post.

Little miss Morgan, before her meltdown, hamming it up for the camera.

Emma looks great in red. We're blowing these up to 8x10 and having Morgan in the middle with Sarah & Emma on either side. I Love them all!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your girls are ADORABLE!

I love that pumpkin caterpillar as well. I have seen them carve zucchini too. It makes them look like Vegetales.

Anonymous said...

chels said...
That pic of us in front of the fireplace turned out pretty good! And I'm glad your putting those pics of the girls up, how cute will that be! (Come to think of it, I still need to get those pics from Lysette, too . . . )