May 30, 2010

thomas jefferson education retreat

I've been very blessed to spend so much time lately with friends of mine--strong, amazing women who nourish my spirit--that I sometimes can't believe how lucky I am, and this past weekend I got to spend some time with yet another amazing friend to attend a conference. My last mission companion, Julie, and I drove up to the Timpanogos Lodge for the Thomas Jefferson Education Spring Mom's Retreat. It's an over-night event complete with dinner (& breakfast the next morning), musical numbers, a dozen different speakers and discussion groups.

It was a weekend FULL of information, ideas, late night gab sessions and the spirit. I came away feeling inspired and motivated (and, honestly, a little overwhelmed). The knowledge that I gained, and the 7 pages of copious notes that I took are worthy of a post in and of itself--because everybody should know this stuff! Julie and I stayed up until 5:00 in the morning just talking, laughing and bearing one another's burdens. We would've kept talking if it weren't for the human body needing sleep (Blast! the needs of the body taking priority over the wants of the spirit!). I will have to write another post on just the information and how it makes a difference in my life, but the main topics/ideas were: the Parenting Pyramid (by the Arbinger Institute--you can google and download a PDF version of the article), womanhood and leadership education.


View of Mount Timpanogos from the lodge.


Julie and I taking a break in between speakers outside the lodge (outside smelled sooo good!)


The main conference hall where dinner/breakfast was served and the speakers addressed us.

An example of a 'lap book' that I'm going to make with my kiddos this summer.


A focus discussion group on the 'Love of Learning' phase. The woman in black is Nicholeen Peck, she was seen on the BBC program called "The World's Strictest Parents". Go. Watch all six episodes. She's amazing.


Speakers on Saturday morning, and me taking notes on my laptop.


Julie taking notes on her laptop.


"Sistah Lee" catching a cat nap before driving home on 1.5 hours of sleep!


Another view of Mount Timpanogos. Absolutely gorgeous!

No comments: