August 29, 2010

vacation catch up, part 2: china town & the warf

After leaving Lake Tahoe we drove into San Francisco late at night and, thanks to our GPS, arrived at our hotel without a hitch, carried our sleeping kiddos up to the room and crashed (as soon as Gene finished bringing up all the bags). The beds were realllly comfortable. I contemplated stealing a pillow for the rest of the trip, but didn't. Chill.

When we woke up early and went down to the lobby for (a quite lame) breakfast, everybody seemed to be surprised by the morning fog and cooler temps. I think they thought it would be like that all day, but California is famous for it's fog rolling in at night and out in the morning. Our first stop was Chinatown so that a few people could get a jacket and other souvenirs (I must've been out of it as I forgot to get myself a San Fran magnet). Emma loved Chinatown! She loved the oriental umbrellas and drums and purses. Sarah loved the dresses & jewelry and Morgan liked looking at the--still living & flopping--fish at the markets. It was fun to walk around up and down the streets. Gene said it reminded him a lot of Korea--that it was just like it only wider streets.

After leaving Chinatown we found a parking garage half a dozen blocks from the wharf and we all parked there. While waiting for other family members to arrive we were admiring a nice vehicle and the parking attendant told us it was Carlos Santana's car. The kids were posing next to it when, sure enough, Carlos Santana showed up. I totally wanted to get my pic taken with him, but my SIL said "No, let's not bug him." So I gave my camera to Brent to snap a pic of me with Santana in the background. Cool. Then we walked down to Pier 39 and looked around, checked out the Sealions (which look all peaceful in the pics, but they bark like a seal and so it was louder than I imagined) & ate clam chowder in sour dough bread-bowls.....
(next post: Alcatraz boat ride, Ghirardelli square & Lombard st.)...

View of the Transamerica building from Chinatown, San Francisco, CA!

One of the streets & shops in Chinatown

View down a steep hill in Chinatown

Waiting for others to arrive
Gene, Morgan, Emma, Hannah, Gianna, Sarah, Megan, Lorraine, Charlton

The most colorful fruit (or is it?) that I've ever seen!

Me holding Emma against her will while Carlos Santana pulls out behind us

View of the Transamerica bldg & Telegraph Hill from the piers

Emma, Megan & Sarah being 'attacked' by a giant crab at Pier 39

A very cool sculpture by Pier 39, San Fran
Morgan running along the docks

Emma resting on the docks at Pier 39

A Sealion and a seagull hashing out their turf

One of the floating docks at Pier 39 FILLED with Sealions
Lots of wrestling & 'barking' going on...

Some cute little Sealion pups bathing in the sun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can live life a little vicariously, anyway....so nice to see the pics.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it.s me, Barbara