August 11, 2005

back to school enthusiasm

Sorry about the hiatus y'all. It's cooled down a bit since my last post- thankfully -and we were able to go camping up Big Cottonwood and hike around Silver Lake the beginning of August.

There's something about seeing all the back-to-school supplies in the stores that gives me a rush. I absolutely love paper and pencils and notebooks and erasers and backpacks. I love the smell. I love organizing it. So, of course, now that Sarah is 5 and would be starting Kindergarten I had to get her all the supplies, even though she'll be homeschooling. That doesn't mean she can't be stylin'. We met with our local support group last week at the park. Sarah got to meet a few girls her age, while I picked the brains of the veteran homeschoolers and got the low down on the fall schedule for fieldtrips, meetings, etc. Talk about another rush! There's a wealth of support out there, curriculum, clubs; Literary, History & Math, just for homeschoolers. It's very reassuring.

We went on our first fieldtrip just yesterday to the Krishna Temple & Cultural Center in Spanish Fork. It was interesting and informative. The Temple architecture and decor was beautiful, and our tour guide was very friendly to the children. He let them ring the bell (representing God with the sound "Ohm") as they entered the temple, and play the drum used for chanting. After the tour we were all invited to eat Indian food in their cafeteria- it was delicious. Even Emma liked it.

It's rewarding to watch Sarah grasp the concept that there are people through out the world who believe differently than we do, and that they are good people, but that's why mommy decided to become a missionary "long ago". Here's a couple pictures...

The Deity Vishnushakti Lakshmi

Another deity Shyam Krishna

No comments: