1. Tell the story of your courtship and marriage to Gene...a mini-autobiography of life since 1994.
Well, the "welcome to our blog" post is, I think, a synopsis of my life after 1994--and a little before. But, without getting too lengthy... technically I met Gene for the first time in our singles ward before my mission. I met him for the second time, as I was coming out of the Stake President's office after being released from my mission. He invited me to sing in the choir and offered to give me rides (since I didn't have a car). The very first date he took me on he flew me to San Diego for the day (he was working at an airline). We went to the temple, and the beach and ate pizza in the park. It was so fun!
We dated for a challenging 18 months (12 months of which Gene waited for his girlfriend-turned-missionary to come home). Through it all we grew closer and had some great times like Disneyland, bungee jumping and singing back-up for Michael Webb and Kenneth Cope. I fell in love with him because he was so fun to have companion study with and I knew he'd make a great father! After we were married we lived in student housing at the University and I started attending school for a Bachelors degree in Art Teaching. We moved around a lot and, after he quit being self-employed, we moved in with his family to save money for a home. Well, the "home" plans turned into "baby" plans and "yada yada yada" we had Sarah. Two and a half years later we finally got our home, and one year later we had Emma.
2. Why are you homeschooling and what are you using for curriculum?
Why? I like to ask why not? No, really. What got me going, years ago, was the safety issue--I didn't like how violent the schools were becoming. Then as I researched homeschooling, and went to conferences and saw the support out there, something in me burned! That burning turned into a conviction for child-lead learning, moral based curriculum, positive peer-pressure and freedom. As far as the curriculum I'm using; I like it all, or at least parts of it all. My "method" would be called Eclectic, because I use a little from everything; Charlotte Mason (living books with a Socratic style of learning--discussion, questions, writing--as opposed to the lecture, notetaking, test method our modern schools use), Thomas Jefferson (mentor lead discussion of classics with an emphasis on scheduling the "core" phase). I'm intrigued by the Unit studies method. And when I do use some text/workbook curriculum it's Alpha Omega's Lifepac. I really like how the lessons are organized and biblically based.
3. What is your biggest fear (or top 3 fears)?
What parents' biggest fear doesn't involve their children? I fear that my children would, at any point in their lives, lose hope...past the point of no return, and fall away from Christ. Despair is a powerful tool the adversary uses. I hope they experience it just enough to understand how precious a thing it is to cultivate and hold on to.
4. If you could be a superhero, what would your powers be and what would your costume look like?
I can't think of a better superhero(s) than the 3 Nephites! I'd like to live forever, changing with the times like a chameleon, helping others with...whatever. Able to help with anything would be my power. Although, I'm a sucker for a man in uniform. Can you imagine running into a Nephite; big and strong, wearing a Marines or Airforce uniform? WOW! As for my costume, I like Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak.
5. If you had one "do-over" in your life, what would it be?
To have a career as an Art Teacher in New York City. I always day-dreamed about how fun it would be to have my own studio, students, hang out with some really weird people and have my art hang in a gallery. (...and then have my kids, of course.)
6. Three wishes...
I'll take the lighter road with this one--since wishes are different than goals.
1) my hair was thicker and my boobs were "perky".
2) we had just enough cash to get things done instantaneously, but not so much to keep us from being humble.
3) that it stayed 72 degrees always and forever, except the week of Christmas it would snow like 10 inches.
Want me to interview you? Just follow these steps
1. Leave a comment below with the words 'Interview me'.
2. I will respond by asking you six questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers.
4. You will include this explanation in the same post.
5. When others ask to be interviewed, you will ask them six questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment