
In ten years we've experienced our share of ups and downs. Gene has finally learned that saying "yes dear" makes the wife happy, and when the wife's happy.....(hee, hee, hee) well, it's true!
I've learned that being happy means sometimes letting boogies get smeared on you. This is saying a lot. What I knew about myself before I married Gene was that I was a self described "clean freak"; I liked a controlled environment. Some used the word "anal" (Lorraine, I'm looking your way)...it's all the same. I also knew that Gene was, in every way, the exact opposite. I knew that. What I didn't know, at the time, is what Gene has taught me over these years-- that I can be joyful in a mess by prioritizing relationships over things, or a clean environment. Sometimes you can have both, but sometimes you can't.
The other day my 18 month old daughter looked up at me with her lips puckered (she's learning how to kiss) and a stream of boogies coming out of her nose (she has a cold). Her grunting insisted on an immediate kiss. So, despite years of flinching at, or even rejecting something like that, I leaned in and gave her a kiss...and got some boogie smeared on my face as well. It was great!
Thanks for teaching me to lighten up. Happy 10th Anniversary!
No comments:
Post a Comment