July 14, 2007

dude! an unfortunate event

Something terrible happened to me recently. I lost all the info on my PDA. Including journal entries about my kids! I'm talking info from the past 18 months! And, NO, sadly, I had not backed it up during that time. I don't know why--testing fate? Stupid? Busy? All of the above? I know it was in part due to the fact that our computer has been hanging on by duct tape (literally), and I just didn't want to bother with it. I cried for a solid hour or two and slept poorly all night long the day it happened. Since then I've been busy pouring over old calendars, photos, videos, school folders, doctors notes, this blog, etc. to try to remember certain events, cute sayings, daily occurrences... that have been erased. I used to be so much more organized in my life, I used to be better than this, I used to regard myself a historian of sorts...what the hell happened?



  • Lesson #1 learned: Never keep all journal info in only one source. Record the same event in a couple different places.


  • Lesson #2 learned: Back up and print OFTEN! (stupid, stupid, stupid!)


  • Lesson #3 learned: Brag more about my kids; to Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents and this blog, so that they can help me remember and record.



So, because of this event, I've decided to dedicate each Thursday (baring we're on vacation or something) to my kids, and I'm calling it Three Pints Thursday--since I have 3 little ones. There is a silver lining to this cloud and that is "Dude! We got a DELL!" And a very nice one at that! Something about an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with other upgrades. So now I will be taking all that history that I'll be gathering; journals, photo's, videos and all and burning it to discs. And possibly distributing copies far and wide in case of a future mishap. Hmmm....Christmas card cd's?

No comments: