January 2, 2008

summer of george

So I never got around to sending out Christmas cards this year (I might do "new year's" ones, but, then again, I might not). The holiday's were fun and Christmas day was more enjoyable than I had anticipated--mostly because I spent the entire day serving my family a wonderful breakfast (quiche, cinnamon rolls & oranges), snacks, and our traditional "roast beast" for dinner.

However, less than a week out Emma already managed to break one of her toys by submersing it in the bathtub....and I just want to go screaming from the rafters "THIS IS THE SUMMER OF GEORGE!" Or, the "year of Carla" as it were, what with new year's resolutions and all. So that's it! THAT is my New Year's resolution--to take back myself. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE being a stay-at-home parent and teaching Sarah and nurturing Emma & Morgan as well. Love it. Wouldn't change it for the world. But, as my sister pointed out recently, when I do something I am nothing if not thorough. And lately (for the longest time, really) that has left me feeling like I've lost myself, like I'm drowning in all my other duties.

It's hard for me to reconcile who I am and what I do with what I deserve and what I want. And it's nothing extraordinary, just some uninterrupted time to go running or paint or maybe get pampered every now and then. So this year is the year I'm going to allow myself to be a little selfish, just a little, and take care of what I need to feel like "me" again. In two words--health & hobbies. What do you want to do differently this year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they call me mommy said...
L-O-V-E love the picture. hehe :D

I totally wanna say "what she said" with regard to striking the balance between self and obligations, especially the mommy obligations. The mommy obligations are so whole-hearted, it's hard to not lose yourself. This year I want let myself believe in and follow a dream. It doesn't get cheesier or more New Year's Resolution-y than that, but there it is. :)

3:21 PM

Anonymous said...

they call me mommy said...
L-O-V-E love the picture. hehe :D

I totally wanna say "what she said" with regard to striking the balance between self and obligations, especially the mommy obligations. The mommy obligations are so whole-hearted, it's hard to not lose yourself. This year I want let myself believe in and follow a dream. It doesn't get cheesier or more New Year's Resolution-y than that, but there it is. :)

3:21 PM