On Sunday, November 23rd, four days before Thanksgiving my father-in-law passed away. He had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks, but appeared to be improving and I think most of us expected him to return home. However, before church, we received a phone call saying that he was failing rapidly and that we needed to come right away. He passed while we were en route. My husband's siblings & their families quickly gathered around their beloved dad and spent hours reminiscing & comforting one another, finding it hard to leave. Years ago, while the family was gathered in grandma & grandpa's frontroom, we were talking about funerals and such. Someone had asked my father-in-law what he would want & how he would want his funeral to be handled. He said "Just build me a pine box, put me in the back of a pick-up truck and drive me up to Idaho" (where he was born & raised).
So. That's what we did.
Now, like I said it was not your typical funeral, but I will say this: I've never seen a more personal, intimate funeral process in my life. There has to be something said about my father-in-law, Sirren, and the life he lived that so many people would be willing to go to such lengths to grant him his last wish. I will always remember him as the perfect example of patience, humility & spiritual endurance. I'm so thankful that he was a great father to my husband, and that Gene now can pass down many lessons learned from him. We will miss grandpa sorely!
Barbara holding her husband's hand.
Grandpa's "pinebox" in the back of Verle's pickup truck.
One of the requests Sirren had made was to have his "life's road map" etched on the top of his casket. This depicts his journey from Soda Springs, Idaho to his mission, service in the Army, the various places his children were born & various homes they lived in.

The whole family, adults & grandchildren alike, traced their hands and left grandpa messages as well as traced some of the wood crafts that Sirren had made (moon).
The grave side service in Soda Springs. Nicole & Jennifer sang "O Danny Boy" a capella beautifully (I wish I had a recording). Memorial services were held later in the week, back home, in which Gene and some of his siblings gave beautiful talks about their dad.
We'll miss you dad, grandpa!
3 comments:
Carla (& family)
My grandparents told my mom that your father-in-law had passed away. I was sorry to hear that. It sounds like he had his wishes come true though with his funeral. I loved the casket. My husband said not to show that to his dad. That is what he has said he wants as well.
There is nothing better than to be with those you love. My prayers and thoughts are with your family.
Sarah
Thanks Sarah! It was such a personal experience it has made me rethink my wishes for my own funeral (hopefully a long ways off still). ;)
I just barely logged onto this new message. Such a wonderful job of posting, Carla, both the messages and the pictures. You are really our family historian.!! Everything was really memorable. I see in the Tribune someone has set up an alternative mortuary in Bountiful with a lot of the same ideas we had...i.e. the pine box. Sirren, I'm sure. loved the entire event, and as Merla said, it was much more personal for us. Thanks for recording it so well. Love barbara
Post a Comment