For my first day Gene took the day off and we headed to Park City in the morning. We got there early enough that parking wasn't a problem, but the traffic and crowds were starting to pick up significantly! After parking we grabbed a shuttle to the Eccles theater to watch our first movie "Night Catches Us". It was really good and I liked it a lot--that is to say I gave it three out of four stars. There's a couple times in the beginning of the film that, due to editing, we're left confused and interrupted, but it sucks you in and gets better as it goes. We're not allowed to take pics during the film for obvious reasons, but after each film there's a Q&A with the director/cast/crew and I got pics of this young, female director (and even her autograph).
In between shows we grabbed a bite to eat & some herbal tea to warm us up and then got right back in line, as this year both our movies were at the same venue. The second movie (totally would've been rated R. If you watch the clip there's a couple F-bombs at 3:00.) I like a lot less because of the constant use of hand-held cameras--I was starting to get a headache and feel nauseated.
Dear Hollywood,
Why do you feel the need to use hand-held cameras to
give a movie a sense of "realism"? The only time I see things
as jostled and jumpy is when I'm on the trampoline. When I'm
simply walking down the street I feel very focused and steady,
as my body is using it's internal shock-absorbers, but not at all
staggering and drunk-like. So please stop it!
Love, Me
Anyway, the premise was interesting enough and it was star-studded with Orlando Bloom, Laura Liney and Mark Ruffalo (who also directed it), but it was also long and drawn out and I found myself actually yawning and wishing it would end. Gene liked it. There's no accounting for taste. ;)
After the movies we took a shuttle up to Main Street and grabbed dinner--a very yummy moz/tomato/fresh-basil pizza. Then we strolled up and down Main Street checking out some of the shops (got me some Rocky Mountain Chocolate Co. truffles) and popping into lounges--apparently just missing Sir Elton John. Dang. There are elements of Sundance that are very artsy-fartsy "pushing the envelope" so to speak, but mostly it's just a beautiful grunge-chic mountain town experience. I had so much fun and "Thanks hubby" for such a fun birthday gift!
As in REbellion, REcharge, REthink, REcreate...
Director of photography answer some questions after their movie.
Waiting in line outside the Eccles for our second show.
Gene in line trying to stay warm.
The two of us inside the theater waiting for the show to start.
...that's Mark Ruffalo wearing the hat, and the guy in the wheel chair is his best friend
The two of us inside the theater waiting for the show to start.
The (partial) cast & crew for Sympathy for Delicious at the Q&A...
and the star of the movie.
An original Banksy piece of art (or graffiti--depending on how you look at it) outside the Java Cow on Main Street in Park City. Rumor has it that he installs his art under the cover of darkness and that no one has seen his face. His art is all around the world and he hit Sundance!
Me posing with the Banksy (sad that the face and camera are a little worn already) he made this one just before opening night at Sundance. Watch the clip about it here.
2 comments:
You are sooooo Pretty!!! I think Mark Rufallo(sp) likes sllllooooowwww moving dramas for the most part - he tends to lean that way in most of his films - 13 going on 30 is the only one I know that isn't on the slow side... How fun for you to get to go!!!
Wow, that looks like so much fun. Glad you guys got to do this together.
Post a Comment